This year taxpayers who meet ALL the following criteria need NOT submit a tax return:
- Their total employment income for the year before tax is not more than R500 000
- They only receive employment income from ONE EMPLOYER for the full tax year
- They have no other form of INCOME (e.g. car allowance, business income, and rental income, taxable interest or income from another job)
- They don’t have any additional allowable tax related deductions to claim (e.g. medical expenses, retirement annuity contributions and travel expenses)
To further reduce unnecessary trips to SARS branches, taxpayers who are not required to file a return will receive a simulated outcome from SARS as if they had filed a return. The taxpayer can accept this outcome or update the return and file.
Tax Season 2019 starts on 1 August for taxpayers who file their income tax returns at a SARS branch. Taxpayers who go to a SARS branch will be encouraged to register as users of eFiling and the MobiApp. Taxpayers who are registered for eFiling or have access to the MobiApp can file their income tax returns from 1 July via these channels.
The closing dates for Tax Season are as follows:
- 31 October 2019 for branch filing.
- 4 December 2019 for non-provisional taxpayers who use eFiling and the MobiApp.
- 31 January 2020 for provisional taxpayers who use eFiling.
Should you require professional assistance with submitting your return please do not hesitate to contact us.